In the world of dermatology, there are three main fields: medical, cosmetic, and surgical). While each respective approach can help patients achieve great skin, medical and cosmetic dermatology offer different types of treatments to serve patients’ skincare needs. Surgical dermatology overlaps with both of the other two depending on whether the surgery is necessary for malignant or concerning conditions such as skin cancer or elective for benign but otherwise bothersome spots. This quick guide will outline the main differences and help you explore your treatment options for cosmetic and medical dermatology.
Medical dermatology is primarily concerned with the actual health of your skin and disorders related to skin function. Typically, patients seek medical dermatology treatment for acne, skin cancer, warts, rashes, eczema, and other conditions that affect the health of the skin.
For patients seeking medical dermatology, Aesthetx currently treats a wide range of skin conditions, including the following:
- Acne: Although acne often starts in the teen years, for some patients it extends well into adulthood. Grown women frequently have hormonally-related acne – it’s common but often ignored, so patients feel hopeless or frustrated. Aesthetx offers completely customized treatment for acne, which may include OTC and prescription products, oral medications, chemical peels, and laser treatments.
- Eczema, Rosacea, and Psoriasis: Patients suffering from inflammatory skin conditions know just how uncomfortable a flareup can be. Aesthetx’s treatment plans can help manage and even eliminate these bothersome skin issues.
- Hyperpigmentation and Melasma: An even skin tone is something that many people strive for, but hyperpigmentation and melasma can disrupt an otherwise clear complexion. Aesthetx treats these cosmetic concerns from a multi-faceted approach, resulting in vibrant skin that is free of patchy brown spots. Uneven pigmentation is a stubborn problem so having a well-versed physician partner is invaluable.
- Birthmarks, Moles, and Lesions: The team at Aesthetx can remove moles and birthmarks like café au lait spots, port wine stains, hemangiomas, and more. And whether removing benign or cancerous lesions, they take great care not to disrupt the aesthetic harmony of your surrounding skin and tissues.
While medical dermatology is aimed at treating the health and function of the skin, cosmetic dermatology is more concerned with aesthetics – those problems that aren’t health- or longevity-threatening but make patients self-conscious or are otherwise distressing. For example, men and women seeking to rejuvenate their face or achieve a younger look would seek out the services of a cosmetic dermatologist. Or, patients who want to slow or reverse hair loss. Although in many cases, dermatologists provide both medical and cosmetic services, seeking a board-certified (and if possible, fellowship-trained) doctor who has expert training in the most innovative and cutting edge technologies and procedures is important
Aesthetx offers a full selection of cosmetic dermatology treatments to suit your needs:
- BOTOX® and Fillers: Due to their convenience and quick treatment sessions, injectables like dermal fillers and BOTOX® or similar agents like Xeomin® and Dysport have remained the most popular options for non-invasive rejuvenation.
- PRP Therapy: PRP therapy uses a patient’s own blood platelets to encourage the growth of new skin cells and/or hair. It can be used to minimize the appearance of scars, revitalize full complexion, grow and thicken hair, lighten dark under eye circles, or smooth stretch marks.
- Microneedling: During a microneedling treatment, a small device with tiny needles is passed over the skin, creating microinjuries. This process stimulates the production of collagen, which results in rejuvenated, healthy skin. Forget scars, stretch marks and fine lines. Microneedling can be done in isolation or in combination with PRP for an extra boost.
- Laser and Light Therapies: Depending on the device used, light and heat delivered to the skin can stimulate the production of collagen and elastic fibers to improve texture, erase blood vessels and flushing, or even out sun spots and uneven pigmentation.
- CoolSculpting: This FDA-approved method of non-invasive fat reduction allows you to target stubborn pockets of fat on the body.
- Skin Care: From peels to professional skin care products, Aesthetx provides customized options to treat your specific needs.
When it comes to your skin, a comprehensive approach is always best. A successful regimen involves layers of preventative and corrective options. By incorporating both cosmetic and medical dermatology into your skincare routine, you can achieve healthy, vibrant skin from head to toe. Ready to take the next step? Contact the team at Aesthetx for a consultation and customized treatment plan.